Here is a handy guide for Canon Pixma MX492 users to connect their wireless printer on MAC. Before you look for how to setup Canon Pixma MX492 wireless printer on MAC, let’s check the macOS. If you are using macOS 10.14 or later, then you will need to follow the steps.
1. Connect the wireless network to the printer
Solution 1 : Connect wirelessly to the network from the printer’s display screen.
- Tap the “Setup” button on the panel
- A setup menu appears. Using the left and right arrows, select “Wireless LAN setup”.
- Select “OK”.
- The printer searches for an access point or wireless router. If a message asks you to press the WPS button on the access point, press the “Stop” button on the printer.
- After the search is completed, by using the left or right arrows, select the “Standard setup”.
- Press “OK”.
- The printer will again look for access points.
- When a “Select access point” menu appears on the screen, use the left or right arrows to select an access point or wireless network to connect.
- Press “OK” twice.
- If there is a password or passphrase for the router, a box will pop up on the screen asking you to enter the passphrase. To enter the password you will need to use the numeric keypad.
- When you find :a on the screen, the numeric keypad will provide lowercase letters. You need to press the corresponding key to enter a letter until the desired one appears.
- If you want to enter an uppercase letter in the passphrase, press the “asterisk” key once and :a will appear after the “Enter passphrase”.
- If you want to enter a number, press the “tone” key and :1 will appear after the “Enter passphrase”.
- If you want to enter a symbol, press the “pound” key constantly until the desired symbol appears on the screen.
- If you want to delete a character, tap on the left or right arrows to move the cursor under the character and press the “back” key to delete it.
- ● After entering the passphrase, press the “OK” button, and the printer will attempt to connect to the wireless network.
- If a message as “connected” appears, press “OK” to complete the setup.
- Press the “Setup button”.
- Then select the option “Wireless LAN setup” and thereafter press “OK” to confirm.
- If a message appears asking to “press WPS button of the access point about five sec. and there thereafter press [OK] of this printer”, subsequently press the “Stop” button for passing the message.
- Click on the right arrow button till “Other setup” appears and press “OK”.
- Click on the right arrow button till “WPS (PIN code)” appears, and press “OK”.
- After some time, a PIN code will be displayed on the screen. Enter the code into the router, and the printer will attempt to connect with the network.
- After the connection is completed, press the “OK” button.
Solution 3 : Use the WPS Push Button on the wireless router.
- Press the “Setup” button.
- Use the right/left arrows to choose “Wireless LAN setup”.
- Press “OK”.
- If the message “Press WPS button of the” appears, go to point 5. Else, if the “Wireless LAN setup” screen appears, go to point 6.
- Press and hold the “WPS” button and go to point 7.
- Select “WPS (Push button)” and press “OK”.
- Press and hold the “WPS” button.
- Press “OK” within 2 mins.
- If “Connected” appears on the screen, press “OK”.
The wireless LAN setup is completed using the WPS.
2. Download and install the drivers and software for the printer
Follow the steps to install drivers and IJ Network tools:
- You can check the support page for the printer.
- Go to the “Drivers” tab, and click on the “Select” buttons to the right of the CUPS printer driver and ICA driver.
- Click on “Download” for all the driver options available on the screen.
- Click on the “Software” tab.
- Choose the “Select” button located on the right of the IJ Network Tool.
- After opening all the files, a package .pkg file will appear on the window. Double click on them to run the driver and IJ Network Tool installers.
- Follow the instructions given on the screen to finish the installation.
- Click on the “Apple” menu and select “System Preferences”.
- Click on “Print & Fax/ Print & Scan/ Printers & Scanners”
- Click on the “+” at the lower left of the screen.
- The “Add” window will appear. After some time, a list of printers will appear where you need to find the kind with Canon IJ Network.
- After clicking the listing, ensure the printer’s name appears for use. Select “Add”.
Now, the printer is ready to use with your MAC. This guide will be helpful for users looking into how to setup Canon Pixma MX492 wireless printer on MAC. For additional support, ask your technician or connect with the Canon customer support team.